Monday, July 21, 2008

Table Re-do

I have another Cr*igslist find. Yay! This one was used a receptionist's desk and then a conference table and then made its way to a home where it was used as a sewing table. Now I'm going to use it as my sewing/crafting/quilting table in the basement. Its a good solid heavy table and it came with a glass top. How nice is that? Its a good 6' wide and 3' deep.





I was going to leave it alone, and then I thought perhaps I'd paint it black. Then I got anxious and started sanding it down just to see what was underneath it. I ended up completely refinishing it. Its by no means an expert job, but I think it turned out rather well. Certainly better than it was, and it will work just fine for me!





The legs sanded down just fine, so I moved on to the top. I used paint stripper on it first, and then started to sand a bit. It became quickly apparent that the top was just a veneer, which didn't suprise me. I decided to stain it for the heck of it, just to see what it looked like. It looked better than I thought, so I went ahead and stained the legs as well. Then I moved on to the sides. That was a disaster. The sides were just a film or something, because it melted as soon as I put the paint stripper on it. So I put veneer on each of the sides. That didn't turn out half bad. I put new handles on the drawer, and voila! Its done.





I spent more on supplies than I intended to, but what the heck, I'm putting it down to a learning experience. Seems like I have a lot of those these days. I hope I'm retaining something worthwhile from all of them. It was still cheaper than anything I could have found new, at any rate.

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, very nice! That will make a great sewing table!