Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Crib Sheets

This is something else that I've been making.

Since I don't have a whole lot of time for making anything any more, I love making crib sheets.  They are super simple and super fast.  

It is very difficult to find fabric that is appropriate for boys anyway, and finding prints that are gray on white is rather difficult as well, so when I find some, I snag it for a sheet or two.  I've been making so many that I am now well-stocked for both the crib and the toddler bed.  Yay!

Fabric from top:  Michael Miller Dumb Dot Haze, WalMart sheet set, Metro Living Circles Grey, Hobby Lobby, ?

There are many different instructions out there for making crib sheets, but this is my method:

The toddler bed we have measures 27 x 51.  When I buy fabric, I measure the width.  Whatever the difference in width between the fabric and the mattress is added to the length and half of that measurement is the measurement of the square to cut out of the corner. 

So if the fabric is 44" wide, I add 17" to the length.  So I would cut my fabric to 44" x 68".  This also means that a 8.5" square is cut out of the corners.

If the fabric is 45" wide, I add 18" to the length and cut it to 45" x 69" and cut a 9" square from the corners.  See?  Simple.

I sew a french seam in the corners, which just means that you sew a 1/8" seam with wrong sides together, and then turn it out and sew a 1/4" seam with right sides together.  This way your raw edge is enclosed in the seam and there will be no fraying with the frequent washing the sheet will get.

Then fold the raw edges of the sheet up a scant 1/4" and iron, and then up a generous 1/4" and iron again.  Sew around and insert 1/4" elastic.

Easy.

I also discovered that a twin sized sheet set can be cut up to be made into two fitted sheets and one flat sheet and of course, the pillow case is already included.  I got the sheets in the last post from a sheet set at WalMart and if I remember correctly, it was in the back-to-school section for $15.  Score!

It is a little weird that I get so excited about this.  But seriously.  Its impossible to find bedding for them that I'd actually want.  So yay!

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

They're beautiful! i love all your pretty grays.

used to make crib sheets too, so I know why you get so excited about them. They're so easy to make it's surprising that we don't see more of them in blog land!