Friday, September 26, 2008

Dahlias at Last

Back in the spring, I was with my Mom and Grandma, and for some reason, we talked about dahlias and Gram said she had some white dahlia bulbs that she could give me. I said that I would love to have them.

She sent them with my Mom later this summer, and I planted them out in the backyard. They came up quickly and seemed to do rather well, but then no flowers. What's up with that? I did see that my friends, the deer, seemed to have had a nibble at them, but nothing major. They took off the tops of a few stems.


Then two little buds appeared. It took weeeeeks for those little buds to get bigger and fatter and start peeking out white petals. Slowly it opened a little bit more every day, until yesterday I finally ran out and clipped them off. No use leaving them for the deer or to display to no one out there! And maybe cutting them will produce more? I don't know.


There are some more buds on the plants, but at this rate, I don't know how many will open. I would presume that we've only got a month or so before it starts freezing. So I shall enjoy the two I have for now.

There's something lovely about white flowers.

No comments: