Friday, June 20, 2008

A long time coming

I have been contemplating making this pillow for awhile, and for some reason, just haven't done it. After all, how long does it take to make a pillow?

Today I decided I was going to do it. It is made out of Egyptian cotton and shell buttons. I hand sewed each of the buttons in place, because I couldn't quite figure out the button-sewing function on my machine. Any idea how that works? I put the button foot on and put it down on the button with the feed dogs lowered and found the right spacing for the holes and I started sewing. It stitched a few times back and forth and then a few reinforcing stitches on the left. I pulled it off and it was sorta loose and messy looking. Any idea what I did wrong?

I sewed the buttons on by hand instead. I sort of enjoy the hand sewing anyway, although I wasted waaaay too many hours of the day on this, when I really should have been doing other things. But I can't put things down in the middle. Must finish. I have a touch of OCD, I think.


I'm not sure what I think of it yet. I think I like it. I'm having a little bit of an obsession with lace and doilies at the moment. I'm thinking of making a white pillow with a doily sewn on it. Actually, I'm thinking of making a bunch of white-on-white pillows. We'll see if I get around to doing any of it.

Some of the inspiration for the lace & doilies in my head right now comes from Matthew Mead Style and some from these photos from Brocade Design etc.
Photo by Paul Lowe.

From Brocade Design etc.
Photo by
Paul Lowe.

No comments: